Choose your favourite pasta shapes and mushrooms to use in this creamy and comforting vegan mushroom pasta.
- 200g/7oz dried pasta shapes, such as penne or fusilli
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 200g/7oz small closed cup mushrooms, white or chestnut, sliced
- 2 banana shallots, or 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegan white wine
- 200ml/7fl oz soya plant-based single cream alternative
- 30g/1oz vegan hard ‘cheese’, finely grated
- fresh basil leaves, to serve (optional)
- flaked sea salt and ground black pepper
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 2–3 minutes over a high heat, or until golden-brown, stirring regularly.
- Reduce the heat, add the sliced shallots (or onion) and garlic and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring. Pour over the wine and bring to the boil. Cook for 1–2 minutes, or until reduced in volume by half. Stir in the soya cream alternative and return to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and stir into the mushroom sauce. Divide between two warmed, shallow bowls sprinkle with the vegan ‘cheese’ and, if liked, garnish with fresh basil to serve.