This dish was born out of two things my love of pies and my love of Jaffle’s, an Aussie toasted sandwich! So why not combine the best of both giving birth to the Paffle. This has been a fantastic edition to our new Bar menu In M Bar & Grill Twickenham.
500g Beef Shins
1ltr Beef stock
1 Glass of Red wine
1 onion, diced
1 carrot , diced
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tbsp Veg Oil
For the Pastry:
225g Plain Flour
100g Unsalted Butter, diced
Pinch of Salt
- For the pie mix heat a medium size pan over a medium heat
- Add oil, before adding the shin and seal of well with a touch of colour before adding onion and carrots and sweating off before adding tomato puree and cooking out for 2 minutes over a low heat
- Add wine and reduce by half before adding stock ensuring the cheeks are covered before cooking on a low heat for 4 hours or in a pressure cooker
- For the pasty, sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while the filling is cooking
- Once the filling is cooked shred the shins using a fork whilst reducing down the last of the braising stock before adding the shredded meat back in. Leave to cool and store until needed.
- Heat your jaffle (sandwich maker) machine
- Roll out 2 sheets of your pastry just enough to cover the jaffle machine. Spray the machine with cooking oil before laying over the first sheet, then add in your pie filling before covering with another sheet. Cook until nicely golden all over. Serve with some extra gravy on the side.